Christmas Ornament Craft: Glittered Sea Shells


Em and I  saw the prettiest glittered sea shells in a local boutique. The "I could do that" bell rang in my head (you know that bell! I know it happens to you too my crafty readers!)... well, here you go!

Supplies: Sea Shells, Glue, Paint Brush, Fine Glitter*, Hot Glue Gun, Ornament Hanger

*Tip: fine glitter is smaller than regular kids craft glitter. It can be a more expensive than regular glitter so pick it up on sale or when you have a coupon. It makes a big difference in the finished look.

We have jars of sea shells at home from all our summer excursions at the beach.

All we did was dip a paintbrush in Mod Podge and paint onto the shell until the exterior is covered.

Tip: clean off glue from little hands before starting the glitter part!

Add glitter. Let dry. Tap off excess glitter. 


Heat up hot glue gun**. 

**Tip: You don't need an expensive glue gun. I have a cheapo one. I like the dual tempature ones just make sure you buy the correct glue sticks that go with your glue gun.

Squirt a glop of hot glue on the inside. Add a ornament hanger or ribbon. Let dry and hang on tree.

These would make great accents on the outside of a package.

4 comments:

Valerie @ Inner Child Fun said...

Very cute and festive!! I would have never thought to turn shells into ornaments -- very clever!

Darcey said...

I love this idea. I have a couple of sea shell ornaments, but I bought them. It's better when you can make them. they came out really pretty. This was one of my favorite posts I saw this week and I've linked up to it here: http://play2grow.blogspot.com/2010/12/weekly-favorites-december-19-2010.html

kathy said...

love it... yes you can totally do that.. it is almost like a little mermaids christmas tree ornament, beautiful.

http://polwig.com

Anonymous said...

Thank you for a beautiful idea, I have so many different shells and this will be the perfect ornament to make. My sister just changed her home decor to nautical designs and this will be the perfect gift for her tree. Great idea!!

LinkWithin

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs