Dairy Free Spritz


As many of you know, my eldest daughter, Lu, is allergic to milk and tree nuts. I have never attempted baking Spritz Cookies until this Christmas. I was so pleased the Fleischman's Unsalted Margarine worked as an excellent substitute for butter. I was worried it would either jam up the spritz gun and/or taste odd. Luckily they came out beautifully! Chilling the dough a bit helped.  I used the America's Test Kitchen Recipe substituting 1 tbs. Soy Creamer for Cream and 2 sticks Fleischman's Unsalted Margarine for butter. I did one batch using vanilla extract and one with orange extract. The adults preferred the orange extract batch and the kids preferred the vanilla.

1 comment:

berrypatch said...

My hubby is lactose-intolerant. I have had very good outcomes using Smart Balance Organic spread as a butter substitute. What I like - other than the fact that it is lactose-free - is that it is vegan (thus no dairy) and it melts like real butter and tastes really good as well. Cooking with allergies in the house can be challenging! (My youngest is also gluten-free.)

LinkWithin

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs